Friday, January 6, 2012

Some ups and downs

My first box of tools arrived yesterday and when I opened it, I found not only the tools I ordered, but a set of auger bits to go with my new brace! So, I promptly went out, found a scrap piece of wood and drilled a hole in it. Man, that was nice! As you can see, I need to practice some (the edges are a little rough), but all in all, I think that's a very usable hole.

My first hole!

Then, as I was getting a little full of myself with all of my new found skills, I tried to use one of my planes; just one stroke to see what it was like. I spent 45 minutes trying to get the blade set correctly. Never did. It was either too deep or there was no throat or it was angled wrong or etc, etc. Apparently, I'm an idiot. I've bought "The Handplane Book" by Garrett Hack and while I've read a good hunk of it, I still don't know how to actually setup and use a handplane. This, of course, counts as a down part of yesterday.



No comments:

Post a Comment