Sunday, January 1, 2012

Silly articles in magazines

Browsing through the numerous woodworking magazines in my local Barnes and Noble, I saw the Fine Woodworking's "Tools and Shop" special edition. Being in a rush, I just grabbed it without looking too close as it had an article on how to build a nice hand tool cabinet. Silly me.

When I finally took the time to read the article, I discovered that the entire project was completed without the use of a single hand tool! It was as if they were saying, "Here's a place to store all those old tools that aren't worth using anymore." They could have built the cabinet to hold trophies, sports memorabilia or pretty much anything, but it was almost insulting to have it be a hand tool cabinet.

I'm trying to understand their reasoning, but all I can come up with is that they view hand tools as collectibles that are not actually meant to be used. Not sure how I feel about that, but "sad" comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment